Wednesday, January 30, 2008

God saves sinners! (part 1)

One of the things I appreciate about the technical aspects of blogging is that you can keep editing and revising already existing posts. I really envy those folks who seem to effortlessly get it right on the first attempt, but I’ll never be one of them. Therefore, expect that I may continue to revise posts that are a week (or several) old!

God saves sinners … but what does “save” mean?

I had said at the end of the previous post that I would try to unpack some of the items that I had listed as “crucial truths.” I think the one I want to start with is the first on the list (though I may not follow the listed order in future posts). I hesitate to prioritize these items in terms of importance, but the first one is definitely near the top, and at the beginning of my Reformed “conversion,” it was the one that really began the process of turning my poor evangelically-muddled brain inside out. It is that God does not merely provide an opportunity for sinners to be saved, but He actually saves sinners, the three Persons of the Godhead concurring in the work of salvation--the Father electing, the Son redeeming, and the Holy Spirit applying redemption to the elect.

God saves sinners! Now the fact that God saves sinners would hardly be a controversial notion among evangelical Christians, but once we get down to articulating exactly what we mean by this, and what is the precise nature of that salvation whereby God saves sinners, we find ourselves right smack in the middle of one of the most important doctrinal controversies that ever shook the Protestant church, the Arminian controversy of the seventeenth century. The controversy arose over the question of whether salvation was entirely a sovereign work of God acting to rescue spiritually dead sinners who couldn’t lift a finger to help themselves--or whether God in Christ merely made salvation a possibility contingent upon whether a sinner would employ his freewill and choose to believe. (The followers of a minister named Jacob Arminius argued for the latter position.)

In other words, the debate was over the question: What exactly does “save” mean? One way to get a handle on the issue at stake is by asking yourself the following question: If you have trusted in Christ for your salvation, can you attribute your faith to the fact that you were chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world (and nothing else)? Or did God “choose” you on the basis of His foreknowledge that when confronted with the gospel, you would exercise your own free will and “decide for Jesus”? Does your faith flow from your election? Or your election from your faith? (Though it may appear to be, this is not simply a "chicken or the egg" type of question!)

To put it another way (and here I’m stealing a very helpful illustration used by R.C. Sproul in his excellent article, On the Pelagian Captivity of the Church): Can we best compare God’s saving of sinners to someone rescuing a drowning man by throwing him a life preserver and helping him to grab hold of it? Or is it more like someone diving to the bottom of the ocean to rescue a stone cold corpse, bring it to the surface, and then breath life into it? It has often amazed me that many (most?) Christians, in my experience, don’t consider this to be an important question. As you've probably figured out, I have become convinced that it is crucial, and I want to argue vehemently for the latter option!

(In order to keep this post “bite-sized,” I’ll continue the discussion in the next one …)

No comments: